Saturday, January 1, 2011

Love and Rockets: Human Diastrophism v. 4 (Love & Rockets 4): Human Diastrophism v. 4 (Love & Rockets 4) by Gilbert Hernandez

For several years now, I have been meaning to read the Love and Rockets comic book series by the Hernandez brothers. I finally took the plunge by going to my local library and picking up this collection of stories that are collected in a graphic novel format.

Based in a Central American town called Palomar, this book contain tales of love, death, art and family with a magic-realist feel. We are introduced to such characters as the passionate and headstrong Luba (along with her numerous lovers, both past and present), the mysterious Tomaso and the semi-crazed artist Humberto.

On paper, this series is exactly the type of story that I enjoy. For some strange reason, however, I was not captivated by this book. I will definitely borrow other volumes of this series from the library (the stories good), but that being said, I wasn't left with an urge to go out and purchase a copy -- as I do with my favorite books or graphic novels -- so I can re-read it again.

3 out of 5 stars