Thursday, December 16, 2010

Ship of Fools Richard by Paul Russo

Winner of the 2001 Philip K. Dick award, this book tells the story of the Argonos, a starship that has travelled through the universe for centuries without a clear mission. After wandering through space for what seems like an eternity, the ship comes across a planet whose inhabitants have vanished, and then later a mysterious alien ship. This book is very well written, so I understand why some people have hailed this book. Speaking for myself only, however, I found this story to be a ho-hum effort that repeats themes that have been covered in countless other science fiction books. Though it is clear that Russo is a strong writer, the plot never captured my imagination, nor did I find the characters all that intriguing.

2 1/2 out of 5 stars