Friday, December 17, 2010

A Fix Like This by K. C. Constantine

Reading K.C. Constantine is normally a joy. With sparkling dialogue, wonderful characters and ingenious plot lines, literary audiences have a true gem in the Mario Balzic detective series.

Even great writers, however, have bad days, as this book demonstrates. With a convoluted plot line and surprisingly wooden characters, this novel is, in my opinion, the weakest novel in the Mario Balzic series that I have read.

Like the other Balzic books, this novel covers such themes as racism, the frustrations of the working class and the inter-relationships of small-town Pennsylvania. We are also presented with the complicated persona that is Chief Balzic, who dedicates his life to fighting crime, while also showing terrible judgement by driving while extremely drunk.

Unlike the other Balzic novels, however, this story does not wow the reader. In fact, two-thirds into the book I was bored by this tale, which is something that has never happened to me before while reading a Constantine novel. All in all, I would still recommend the Mario Balzic series to my friends, with the definite exception of this book.

2 out of 5 stars